Solve real-world innovation challenges through entrepreneurship
Join us at Innovation Week at the University of Utah this summer – a bold opportunity to transform yourself, your community and even your planet through entrepreneurship! University of Utah’s Youth Education program, in partnership with the Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute, is oﬀering an unparalleled opportunity for high school students to collaborate with entrepreneurs and innovators to tackle real-world problems. In the span of a week, students identify a pressing problem in their local or global community, employ design-thinking, lean startup, and innovation techniques to develop a unique solution, and work with peers and mentors to bring their innovative ideas to life! The program culminates in a pitch competition for cash prizes and scholarships.
2017 Summer Details
- Who: 15-18 year-olds (Exceptions made on a case-by-case basis)
- What: A 1-week summer program where students learn design thinking, entrepreneurship and innovation from world class entrepreneurs and innovators. Students form teams to build solutions and business models that tackle real-world problems and pitch for money at the end of the week.
- When: June 19-22, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Where: The University of Utah Eccles School of Business, 1655 East Campus Center Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84112
- Cost: TBD (Need-based scholarships available.)
About Innovation Week
Innovation Week is unique from other programs in that it helps students develop an entrepreneurial mindset, characteristic of entrepreneurs and innovators. This mindset helps build resilience and is critical for success in college and 21st-century careers. Students also access mentors and career opportunities not available elsewhere – whether meeting with CEOs of successful startups, visiting research and innovation labs on campus, or speaking with professors and students who lead innovative ventures.
The U leads the nation in entrepreneurship and innovation. We invite you to spend a week on our beautiful campus developing 21st-century skills that will help you build your candidacy for college and prepare for 21st-century careers. Most importantly, students will have a blast collaborating in teams, making new friends, and sharing their perspectives on topics that matter to them.
- Defining innovation and entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship lunch panel
- Intro to design-thinking
- Design challenge
- Real-world problem identification
- Guest entrepreneur
- Personal roadmap
- Prototyping and pitch prep
- Mentor session
- Pitch development
- Pitch prep
- Prototype finish
- Impact and entrepreneurship
- Final pitch competition and showcase