The Top-20 teams in the 2016 Utah Entrepreneur Challenge (UEC) are competing for more than $100,000 in cash and in-kind prizes, including a $40,000 grand prize and a $2,500 prize for People’s Choice best video. The final Showcase & Awards Event is Saturday, April 9. All are welcome to attend at 4-6 p.m.
UEC is one of the largest, collegiate, business-model competitions in the nation. Students from across Utah compete in the development of a full, comprehensive business-model. The program is managed by students at the Lassonde Institute at the University of Utah and sponsored by Zions Bank.
The Top-20 advanced by winning in campus or executive summary competitions.
The UEC Mentorship Program provides the Top-20 an opportunity to receive constructive, professional feedback from leaders within Utah’s business community. Participants often advance to create successful business startups.
The UEC Top-20:
- Aura Optics (Utah State University) – a startup providing customizable snow goggles for skiing and snowboarding athletes.
- Conversature (University of Utah) – provides conversation analytics software aiming to improve sales.
- Dollow (Brigham Young Univesity) – a social-media analytics platform.
- Fake A Shade (Southern Utah University) – manufactures innovative window coverings that imitate plantation shutters.
- Hoa Cloud (Brigham Young University) – provides a software platform that helps homeowner associations communicate.
- Hype (Snow College) – a universal app where people can create, discover and manage their events.
- Latitude (Brigham Young University) – software that provides a simple method to create mobile tours.
- Maskot Promotional Apparel (Dixie State University) – produces full face, seethrough masks that allow sports fans to become their favorite mascot.
- Milky Hollow Farms (Westminster College) – using Green methods, Milky Hollow Farms produces high-quality dairy products using goat and sheep milk.
- passportXpress (Utah Valley University) – a mobile app replacing plastic ID cards.
- Poulet Bleu (Utah Valley University) – a fully functioning premium chicken poultry operation.
- Quilture (Utah State University) – manufactures custom quilt patterns.
- Red Barn Collections (Westminster College) – recycles used books to make journals.
- RetiOS LLC (University of Utah) – startup that uses light bulbs to boost wifi signal.
- Runnels Endotracheal (University of Utah) – a startup providing a new endotracheal tube that enhances utility in the OR, ICU and emergency settings.
- SenseTech (University of Utah) – provides solar-powered modules that collect data for agricultural needs.
- Sybo Technology (University of Utah) – an automated robotic lighting system for surgeons.
- Tive (Westminster College) – a platform that allows businesses to make money while providing free wifi.
- Waverly Design Co. (Weber State) – a branding and website design company aimed specifically towards helping photographers.
- Whistic (Brigham Young University) – is a cloud-based platform that enables organizations to quickly evaluate and manage security risks.