The Get Seeded event for February 2017 was a new experience for students competing for milestone funding. This was the first month that it wasn’t possible for every team to receive funding.
Previously a company at the final pitch event just needed 50 percent audience approval to receive their fund request. However, this month the bottom two companies were eliminated regardless of total vote percentage. Nine student startups took the stage, but only seven went home with their funding.
The cumulative funding amount for February was $12,587.64. Here are the top seven teams:
- BotPot, smart kitchen appliance (description), $3,500 (grant amount), creation of Kickstarter video (grant purpose)
- Ubrew, automated beer brewing, $430, finalize prototype
- FLOE, cold brew coffee, $687.64, product development
- Ona Baby, baby bibs, $500, marketing development
- Clovitek, Wifi audio transmission, $3,250, prototype improvements
- Storier, Mobile projected stories, $3,320, app development
- Epic Egg, Tabletop team game, $900, game box design
Learn more about the monthly grant program and apply to “get seeded” at lassonde.utah.edu/getseeded.