The University of Utah Opportunity Quest, a collegiate business-model summary contest, announced the top 10 teams today in the 2021-22 competition. These teams will be competing for a chance to win $8,000 in cash prizes, including a $3,000 grand prize. The winners will be determined on competition day, Dec. 3, 2021.
The competition is managed by the Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute, a nationally ranked division of the David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah, and sponsored by Zions Bank.
“I’m continually blown away by the quality of these student’s business model summaries,” said Brad Wilcox, student co-chair of Opportunity Quest. “This year’s top 10 is the strongest cohort I’ve seen in three years of supporting this program.”
Opportunity Quest competitions are held at colleges across Utah. Winning teams receive cash and in-kind prizes. The first-place winners advance into the top 20 of the Utah Entrepreneur Challenge, where they will develop a full business model and compete against students across Utah for $60,000 in cash and prizes.
Learn more about Opportunity Quest at lassonde.utah.edu/oq.
University of Utah Opportunity Quest Top 10 Teams 2021-22
Here are the top 10 teams in the University of Utah Opportunity Quest for 2021-22. These teams will advance to the final judging on competition day. They are listed in alphabetical order:
- Aether Masks: A company that develops improved anti-fogging surgical masks.
- Argus Entertainment/The 801 Concert Series: A DJ service and audiovisual production company.
- Cortex Evolution: In-depth personal coaching sessions utilizing positive psychology.
- Foam Laundry: A direct-to-consumer laundry service for students living on campus.
- FoodsRush: An online marketplace connecting consumers and food establishments in order to eliminate food waste.
- Mura: A science-based productivity wellness planner designed for students.
- Nōmadik Living: A centralized platform of furnished apartments allowing users to live anywhere.
- Sadie B Personal Care: A personal-care brand designed specifically for and by Gen Z girls to empower them.
- T-Band: A medical device used to secure a patient’s arm during medication infusion to prevent needle complications.
- Tribe: A mobile platform for team-based addiction recovery and self-improvement.
2021-22 Competition Timeline
- Application Opens: Friday, Sept. 3, 2021, at noon
- Application Deadline: Monday, Nov. 1, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
- Online Judging: Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2021, to Sunday, Nov. 14, 2021
- Announce Top 10: Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021, by 11:59 p.m.
- Competition Final Event: Friday, Dec. 3, 2021
About the Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute
The Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute is a nationally ranked hub for student entrepreneurship and innovation at the University of Utah and an interdisciplinary division of the David Eccles School of Business. The first programs were offered in 2001, through the vision and support of Pierre Lassonde, an alumnus of the Eccles School and successful mining entrepreneur. The institute now provides opportunities for thousands of students to learn about entrepreneurship and innovation. Programs include workshops, networking events, business-plan competitions, startup support, innovation programs, graduate seminars, scholarships, community outreach and more. All programs are open to students from any academic major or background. The Lassonde Institute also manages Lassonde Studios, a new five-story innovation space and housing facility for all students. Learn more at lassonde.utah.edu.