Social distancing and other COVID-19 pre-cautions have been essential on campus and in the residence halls. We want to be sure you are prepared to keep your home communities safe as well if you will be leaving campus for the upcoming holidays.
If you are departing campus and Salt Lake City due to the end of semester or upcoming Thanksgiving break, please consider these tips:
- Limit Your Exposure. It’s a good idea to practice enhanced social distancing prior to returning home or traveling. The CDC recommends you limit your contact with others 14 days prior to your departure to reduce your chances of spreading the virus.
- Plan Ahead: Take a COVID-19 test before you leave! Asymptomatic COVID-19 testing is available on campus to all HRE residents Nov. 16-18. Click here to sign up for a testing time slot on campus. Plan ahead! Test results will be processed in 2-3 days—please select a date at least 3 days before your departure date.
- Quarantine & Check Local Guidance. Public health officials advise that university students quarantine for 14 days after returning home from campus. The state or city you are traveling to may also have additional quarantine requirements or public health orders in place – check with the local health department.
- Monitor your symptoms. It’s important to stay COVID-19 aware and vigilant while in a new environment. Wear a face covering, minimize your contacts, and monitor your symptoms. If you begin to experience COVID-19 symptoms, are exposed to someone who is COVID-19 positive, or receive a positive COVID-19 test result please complete the HRE Self-Report form. All HRE residents will be required to take a COVID-19 test in January for the start of the spring 2021 semester. More information and details about January 2021 testing will be shared soon.
COVID-19 Testing & Your Travel Plans
All residents are encouraged to sign-up for a COVID-19 test Nov. 16-18 before leaving campus.
- When: Monday, Nov. 16 – Wednesday, Nov. 18
- Where: Officer’s Club
- Sign up link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0D48A4A928A4FCCE9-hrestudent
Note: This testing center is for asymptomatic testing ONLY. If you are experiencing ANY symptoms, click here to view symptomatic testing center options.
Test Results: Test results will be processed in 2-3 days.
- Negative Results: Notified via UMail
- Positive Results: Notified via phone call.
- Residents who test positive are still able to depart campus and complete their isolation in an off-campus location. If you are traveling out of the state, traveling by personal vehicle is best. Traveling by public transportation should be avoided.
Thank you for your continued efforts to keep the residence halls and the greater community safe. Please contact our office with any additional questions.
Housing & Residential Education